Language tips: Better Chinese and Better English

From the China Daily Hong Kong edition newspaper


“ Better Chinese: Talking about hairstyles ”
讨论发型 (tǎolùn fāxíng) 


A:  亲爱的,看我的发型怎么样?
(qīnàide, kàn wǒde fāxíng zěnmeyàng?)
Darling, what do you think of my hairstyle?

B:  真不敢认了,简直换了个人似的。
(zhēn bù gǎn rèn le, jiǎnzhí huàn le gè rén shìde.)
I can hardly recognize you.  It seems you have changed into another person.

A:  我们还做了皮肤护理,你看我的皮肤有没有好一点?
(wǒmen hái zuò le pífū hùlǐ, nǐ kàn wǒde pífū yǒu méiyǒu hǎo yi diǎn?)
We also got some skincare.  Don’t you think my skin looks better now?

B:  看不出来。人家都说美容得紧持做,偶尔做依次不管用的。
(kàn bù tài chūlái.  rénjiā dōu shūo měiróng děi jiānchí zuò, ǒuěr zuò yī cì bùguǎn yòng de.)
It is not so obvious.  People say you should keep on getting facial care.  It’s not use if you do it only once in a while.

A:  说的也是,我以后就会经常去做。
(shuō de yě shì, wǒ yǐhòu jìu huì jīngcháng qù zuò.)
That’s true.  I will do it regularly.

B:  你看你这个发型,虽然不像以前那么年轻,但有成熟女人的魅力,每个年龄段都有不同的优点。
(nǐ kàn nǐ zhège fāxíng, suīrán bù xiàng yǐqián nàme niánqīng, dàn yǒu chéngshú nǚrén de měilì.  měigè niánlíng duàn dōu yǒu bù tóng de yōudiǎn.)
Look at your hairstyle.  Although you don’t look as young as you were before, you are charming as a mature woman.  Each age has its character.

 


“Better Chinese: Planning to go to a karaoke”
相约去卡拉OK
(xiangyue qu chang kalaOK)


A:  我这里有免费卡拉OK票,周末哪位同事有兴趣跟我一起去唱卡拉OK啊?
I’ve got some free karaoke tickets.  Who wants to go to karaoke with me at the weekend?

B:  我,我去。这么好的事情怎么能忘了我呢? 你有几张? 在给你叫几个人。
I’d like to go.  How could you forget me for something like this?  How many tickets do you have?  I can find someone for you.

A:  不是按人算的,是一个包间。一张票可以免费唱一个小时,酒水另算。
It’s not charged according to the number of people but per private room.  With one ticket you can sing for an hour for free, not including drinks.

B:  那一个包间能有几个人呀?
How many people can a room hold?

A:  这是中等包间,六到八个人吧。
This is for a medium-sized room, which can hold six to eight people.

 


Better English: 看看英语怎么“骗”人


  1. Those how lie and cheat will never get away with it.
    那些撒谎和欺骗别人的人决不会逃得过惩罚。
    1. 撒谎sāhuáng = spread lies
      撒谎的人、撒谎者
      = a liar
    2. 欺骗 :qīpiàn = trick and deceive
      欺骗者、欺骗的人
      = a con artist
    3. 惩罚 :chéngfá = penalty/punishment

      cf. 罚款 :fá kuăn = a fine i.e. monetary

  2. He was skinned of all his money by confidence tricksters.
    他所有的钱都被骗子骗走了。
  3. It’s wrong to gull a child.
    欺骗孩子是不对的。
  4. She deceived me into giving her my car keys.
    她骗我把车钥匙给了她。
  5. He often hustles on the streets to pay for drugs.
    为弄到钱买毒品,他常在街上骗人。
  6. This salesman ripped us off!
    我们被那个卖东西的骗子!
  7. Their scam is selling fake Chinese medicine to old people.
    他们的骗局是卖假中药给老人。
  8. The crooks swindled $3,000 out of the old woman.
    那个骗子骗了那位大娘3000美元。
  9. We fooled the boss into giving us all the day off.
    我们骗老板给我们放了一天假。
  10. Tell him that there will be lots of food and he will rise to the bait.
    你告诉他到时候会有多吃的,他会上钩的。
  11. You can’t trick me out of my money.  I’m not that dumb.
    你骗不走我的钱,我没那么蠢。

 


Better English: 英语俚语中的“过世”


  1. He lived to a great age before he finally went the way of all flesh.
    他离世时已到高龄。
  2. Mr Zhou breathed his last early this morning.
    周老先生今天早晨去世了。
  3. After three months’ treatment, he was called to God in his bed last Sunday.
    治疗三个月后,他于上周日病逝了。
  4. The old guy kicked the bucket at the age of 102.
    那位老人去世了,终年102岁。
  5. I don’t care how bad things are.  Once you have a kid, you don’t get to just… check out.
    我想说的是,一旦你有了孩子,那不管情况有多糟,你都不能就这么死了。
  6. My poor old aunt was in bed with cancer for six months before she finally gave up the ghost.
    我那可怜的姑姑得了癌症,在床上躺了半年后去了世了。
  7. Their cat snuffed it last Friday.
    他家的猫上周五死了。
  8. It grieved him to learn that three more of his comrades had gone for burton.
    布道有三位战友阵亡了,他感到很难过。

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s